- Prime Minister Trudeau spent three days doing a cross-Canada tour to emphasize the government’s commitment to the development of Canadian EV industry from the mining and processing of critical minerals to the assembly of EVs all within Canada. Also on the critical minerals file this week Minster Guibeault announced the federal approval of Galaxy Lithium’s proposed lithium mine in the James Bay region of Quebec.
- The House of Commons Government Operations and Estimate Committee (OGGO) has voted to launch an investigation into the federal government’s use of the consulting firm McKinsey. The committee has invited 7 ministers to appear and requested documents related to McKinsey’s work for the federal government as well as a list of all of McKinsey’s clients worldwide since 2011.
- The federal and provincial governments say they are making progress on an agreement on health care that would see increased federal funding flow to the provinces. The Prime Minister may meet the premiers in February to finalize the details of the agreement.
- Jagmeet Singh used an NDP caucus retreat to emphasize that his priorities for his deal with the federal Liberals are seeing changes to healthcare system in the next year. In particular he wants to see legislation for framework on a national Pharamacare strategy passed by the end of the year and threatened to withdraw his support for the government if it is not
- Minister Anand announced that Canada will donate to Ukraine 200 armoured personal carriers as part of its commitment to helping Ukraine defend itself against Russian aggression. The Canadian government will purchase the vehicles from Roshel, a Canadian manufacturing company based in Mississauga, Ontario.
- The federal government has announced $40M in support for Atlantic Canada’s shellfish industry to help it rebuild from the damage of Hurricane Fiona.
- Minister Fortier announced the federal government will contribute $350M to the City of Ottawa to help it buy electric buses as part of the federal efforts to encourage cities to switch to electric powered buses.
- Minister Alghabra announced the government intends to reform Canada’s regulatory regime to enable the development of a commercial space launch industry with a review that will update Canadian legislation and regulation to support commercial space launches in Canada.
Economic Numbers of the Week
- 6.3%: Statistics Canada reported this week that the Consumer Price Index was a 6.3% for December, a decline from the 6.8% inflation rate reported in November.
- The federal cabinet will be holding a retreat in Hamilton, Ontario Jan 23-25th to plan in advance of the return of the House of Commons on January 30th.
- The House of Commons Industry Committee will hold hearings on the proposed merger between Shaw and Rogers on January 25th.
- On January 26th the House of Commons Transport Committee will hold another meeting on travel issues during the Christmas season with officials from Via Rail expected to appear..