MOU to foster economic corridors: Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba signed a memorandum of understanding to foster the development of economic corridors. The three provinces will coordinate to prioritize strategic infrastructure that will enhance trade and transportation. The plan will help support the movement of critical resources, energy and utility projects, and secure national supply chains.
$193 million for post-secondary programs: A $193-million investment will fund new seats in high-demand programs such as health care, technology and business. The investment will create nearly 8,000 new seats, of which 3,400 are in health care training programs.
$5 million for the aviation industry: Alberta’s government is investing $5 million to open more seats in Elevate Aviation’s programs. The investment will prepare more Albertans for high-demand jobs, including aircraft maintenance, ground crew, drone operations and air traffic control.
Removing MELT requirements for school bus drivers: Effective April 23, Class 2 drivers will no longer be required to take MELT when seeking their Class 2 licence. Removing the MELT requirement will make it easier for school boards and bus companies to hire and train drivers. Student transportation leaders have been asking for the change since 2019 following difficulties in hiring and retaining school bus drivers.
Election 2023: Alberta’s general election is scheduled for May 29, 2023.
- Statement: Office of the Premier
- Taking the lead on new nation-building projects
- Feeding families and individuals in need
- Investing in country-leading policy education
- Natural Resources Transfer Agreements: Joint Statement
- Supporting the well-being, education of teen parents
- Expanding cardiac care at Chinook Regional Hospital
- Planning begins for Strathcona hospital expansion
- Expanding access to halal financing
- Helping underrepresented Albertans take flight
- Environmental charges laid against Alberta company
- Investing in reconciliation and safety
- Action! for Alberta’s film and television industry
- Introducing Alberta’s Arts Ambassador 2023
- Adding thousands of new post-secondary seats
- Reducing the school bus driver shortage in Alberta
- Vaisakhi: Statement from Premier Smith
- Improving Alberta’s roads to bolster economic growth
- Premier commits to strong, diverse communities
- Albertans choose water feature at legislature grounds
- Helping people in need, keeping Calgary safe
- Helping Ukrainians get an Alberta driver’s licence