Expert energy panel: A new advisory panel will develop a long-term vision for the province’s energy sector. The panel is made up of industry experts David Yager, Hal Krisle, Bob Curran, Carey Arnett and Phil Hodge. They will engage stakeholders and relevant ministries and provide a final report by June 30.
TIER fund investing in circular economy: $58 million from the TIER fund is being invested in projects participating in the Circular Economy Challenge. The funds, delivered through Emissions Reduction Alberta, will be used for projects that extend a product’s lifecycle through reuse, recycling, upcycling, resource recovery, and sustainable design. It has the potential to create 1,800 jobs and cut emissions by up to 4 million tonnes by 2050.
Letter to Ottawa: Premier Danielle Smith this week wrote a new letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, asking the Government of Canada to collaborate with the provincial government on carbon capture, utilization, and storage investment in addition to halting the introduction of Just Transition legislation as well as the oil and gas emissions cap.
$900,000 to expand apprenticeship programs: Alberta’s government is investing over $900,000 through the Apprenticeship Learning Grant to fund 134 new trade seats at SAIT. The additional seats will be distributed to trades like equipment operators, millwrights, welders, and cooks. The investment is part of the Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs strategy.
Energy Minister visiting Norway and Germany: Minister Guthrie attended the Oslo Energy Forum in Norway this week. He is also travelling to Germany to promote Alberta natural gas.
- Legislature: The Legislature is scheduled to return on February 28. Budget 2023 will be delivered on the same day.
- Promoting Alberta’s energy sector in Europe
- TIER fund gives waste products new life
- Supporting internationally educated nurses
- Upgrading Edmonton’s Citadel Theatre
- More funding for schools to close learning gaps
- Province deploys sheriffs in Calgary’s inner city
- Streamlining nursing assessment
- New future for old Edmonton remand site
- Expanding access to detox and recovery in Calgary
- Global tech firm opens Calgary headquarters
- New health advocate appointed to guide Albertans
- Orders in Council
- Making post-secondary education more affordable
- HCAP: New strategy to grow health workforce
- Letter from Premier Smith to Prime Minister Trudeau
- Creating more affordable licensed day home spaces
- Orders in Council
- Expert panel to map out Alberta’s energy future
- Supporting safe, accessible trails across Alberta
- Experts appointed to emergency review panel
- Expanding skilled trades seats at SAIT